A fragile ceasefire was reached but instability continues in Yemen’s capital following deadly clashes between Shiite rebels and government forces.
BBC News reported:
Information minister Nadia al-Saqqaf told reporters that the attack on the presidential palace constituted “an attempted coup.”
CNN reports that the cause of the newest clashes was unclear:
Al Jazeera adds:
Click Here: Rugby league Jerseys
The deputy health minister said that at least nine people were killed and scores were wounded in Monday’s violence.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said earlier this month that the conflicts gripping other areas of the world caused little global attention to be given to Yemen, where he said “utterly deplorable” acts of violence plagued stability and took a terrible toll on civilians.
Indeed, an attack in Sanaa that killed at least 37 people on the same day as the attack on Charlie Hebdo in Paris carried out by suspected Islamist militants was largely overshadowed.
As tweets on Monday from Yemenis indicate, the newest violence marks the continuation of disaster for civilians in the impoverished nation:
In September, just ahead of the Houthis’ seizure of the capital, President Obama lauded the U.S. military approach in Yemen targeting terrorists a success.
At the Washington, D.C.-based Middle East Institute in December, April Longley Alley wrote that “the country appears poised for yet another round of upheaval, possibly more transformative than the events of 2011.”