EVANSTON, Ill. — Top-seeded Cody Pack moved into Tuesday night’s 157-pound quarterfinals with two convincing victories during the opening session of the 53rd Ken Kraft Midlands Championships.
After receiving a first-round bye, Pack, a senior from Quincy, California scored a 19-4 technical fall over Devin Geoghegan of Old Dominion (Va.). He later turned in a 16-2 major decision win over Shayne Tucker of Oklahoma. The pair of victories upped his career wins total at SDSU to 99. He will go for win No. 100 against ninth-seeded Markus Scheidel of Columbia (N.Y.).
Three other Jackrabbits won their first two matches of the day during the early session, starting with 141-pounder Seth Gross. A redshirt freshman from Apple Valley, Minnesota, the 15th-seeded Gross scored a 6-4 decision over Jack Mutchnik of American University in the opening round. He later moved into the round of 16 with an 8-5 decision over Jimmy Morris of Rider (N.J.).
Gross ended the opening session by dropping a 10-2 major decision to second-seeded Kevin Jack of North Carolina State.
Up a weight class at 149 pounds, junior Alex Kocer reached the round of 16 after winning his first two matches. The 10th-seeded Kocer recorded an 11-0 major decision over Danny Reed of Columbia (N.Y.), before notching a 6-4 decision over North Carolina State’s Sam Melikian.
Kocer was sent to the wrestlebacks after being pinned by seventh-seeded Gabe Moreno of Iowa State.
Junior Brady Ayers began the day with a 3-2 decision over Oklahoma’s Lance Dixon, followed by a 3-1 win over Michael Fetchet of Columbia. Ayers was later defeated by top-seeded David Taylor of Penn State to drop into the wrestlebacks.
At 197 pounds, the Jackrabbits’ Nate Rotert was seeded third. After opening with an 11-9 victory over Steven Holloway of Iowa, Rotert dropped a 5-3 decision to 14th-seeded Derek White of Nebraska to move into the consolation bracket.
Tuesday’s night session begins at 7 p.m., with competition resuming at noon on Wednesday.
Midlands Championships Brackets/Results
Following are the Jackrabbits’ complete results from the opening session of the Ken Kraft Midlands Championships, along with upcoming matches:
125: Ben Gillette, Sr., Redfield
• lost to No. 2 Ronnie Bresser (Oregon State), by major dec., 14-6
• vs. Shakur Laney (Ohio)
133: Brance Simms, Sr., Gilmore City, Iowa [seeded 12th]
• dec. Joel Shump (Ohio), 8-2
• lost to No. 5 Mason Beckman (Lehigh), by major dec., 10-2
• vs. Austin Eicher (Northern Illinois)
141: Seth Gross, R-Fr., Apple Valley, Minn. [seeded 15th]
• dec. Jack Mutchnik (American), 6-4
• dec. Jimmy Morris (Rider), 8-5
• lost to No. 2 Kevin Jack (North Carolina State), by major dec., 10-2
• vs. Noah Teaney (Oklahoma)
Click Here: geelong cats guernsey 2019
149: Alex Kocer, Jr., Wagner [seeded 10th]
• major dec. Danny Reed (Columbia), 11-0
• dec. Sam Melikian (North Carolina State), 6-4
• lost to No. 7 Gabe Moreno (Iowa State), by fall, 4:23
• vs. No. 13 Shyheim Brown (Maryland)
157: Cody Pack, Sr., Quincy, Calif. [seeded first]
• tech. fall Devin Geoghegan (Old Dominion), 19-4
• major dec. Shayne Tucker (Oklahoma), 16-2
• vs. No. 9 Markus Scheidel (Columbia)
157: Logan Peterson, R-Fr., Lake Lillian, Minn.
• lost to No. 7 Edwin Cooper, Jr. (Iowa), by dec., 16-4
• dec. Nate Higgins (Southern Illinois-Edwardsville), 13-10
• lost to Logan Breitenbach (Iowa State), by dec., 6-3
165: Luke Zilverberg, So., Belle Plaine, Minn. [seeded 11th]
• dec. Arsen Ashughyan (Ohio), 6-5
• lost to No. 6 Clark Glass (Oklahoma), by dec., 7-5
• vs. Shaun’Qa McMurtry (Northern Illinos)
165: Joe Brewster, Sr., Park Ridge, Ill. [seeded 12th]
• lost to Patrick Rhoads (Iowa), by dec., 3-2
• def. Nolan Kistler (California Baptist), by injury default
• vs. No. 2 Austin Wilson (Nebraska)
174: David Kocer, So., Wagner [seeded 12th]
• dec. Blake Thompson (North Dakota State), 5-0
• lost to No. 5 Lelund Weatherspoon (Iowa State), by dec., 4-1
• vs. Jacob Davis (Eastern Michigan)
184: Brady Ayers, Jr., Waterville, Minn.
• dec. Lance Dixon (Oklahoma), 3-2
• dec. Michael Fetchet (Columbia), 3-1
• lost to No. 1 David Taylor (Penn State), by tech. fall, 15-0
• vs. Michale Fagg-Daves (Rider)
184: Ben Schwery, Jr., Underwood, Iowa
• dec. Danny Hicks (Illinois), 3-1
• lost to No. 4 Sammy Brooks (Iowa), by dec., 9-4
• vs. Cash Wilcke (unattached-Iowa)
184: Josh Casperson, R-Fr., Beresford
• lost to Abram Ayala (Princeton), by fall, 3:26
• lost to Cash Wilcke (unattached-Iowa), by dec. 2-1
197: Nate Rotert, So., Spearfish [seeded third]
• dec. Steven Holloway (unattached-Iowa), 11-9
• lost to No. 14 Derek White (Nebraska), by dec., 5-3
• vs. Drake Stein (Purdue)
View More College News